Three Weeks Since my EDM Website Went up: Staying Busy
So, my website about Electronic Dance Music is up and people can go there… that is, if I gave them a business card. Other than that, no one will know that I am an aspiring EDM producer. What now? Well, I have 2 choices: I can do nothing (like so many talented EDM producers do!) and hope that God will help me get Google rankings because I am cool, or I can roll up my sleeves and understand the inner workings of the worldwide web. I chose the second method….
My EDM Website Requirements
So, where am I today? The first two days of the last week were spent ‘recovering’ from ADE 2012 (click to see ADE posts, including a couple of videos). And the next five days I dedicated to building more content and pages on my WordPress site and understanding how to set up my website to become what I call sociable. Namely, my website needs easy to find on the web to allow all users to do the following:
- browse through different categories of content easily (which is tricky because I want to run 2 blogs on BPMstr.com – my personal blog and EDM Network Blog (NOV 17 update: I now decided to run the second blog on a separate website – TuneDome.com – check it out!);
- like and Google-plus my posts and pages;
- easily find and go to my third-party social networks;
- quickly become members by either subscribing onto a newslist or by logging in securely through a social network of their choice (Google and Facebook, and MSN).
This is not a long list, but my research shows that my WordPress site requires a ton of plugins and customization to achieve that. Specifically, I decided to use the following WordPress plugins:
- SocialRing Plugin – for integrating the social buttons into my content;
- NextScripts Plugin – to post from my website automatically to social networks;
- Broken Link Checker Plugin – for finding old or mistyped links in my content;
- Easy Contact Forms Plugin – to allow users to contact me with feedback/ideas;
- Page-List Plugin – to create a public sitemap of my site (good for navigation);
- WordPress SEO Plugin by Yoast – for optimizing the structure of my content for search engines (called search engine optimization).
The list above is a “product” of at least 30 hours of extensive testing of a variety of similar plugins in each plugin category. Now, when I say “testing” here, I don’t mean testing HOW they work – so far I was just testing whether they are functional after I install them. Remember, I am not a web developer; so when stuff doesn’t look right once it is installed, I can’t fix it – I must uninstall it and then try something else, unless code changes are insignificant.
But next, of course, while doing my research, I understood that many of these plugins are impossible to test without having valid social networks. Which was a setback… but wasn’t a surprise. So, I went ahead and set up the following social networks (click this to see all the social networks I set up – the list grew since this article was posted):
- Google Plus Page for BPMstr
- Personal Facebook account (believe it or not, I didn’t have one)
- BPMstr Facebook Fan Page for me as
- TuneDome EDM Network Facebook Fan Page
- BPMstr Twitter account
- TuneDome Twitter account for TuneDome EDM Network:
At the end of the day… or I should say at the end of the week, I have achieved a lot but still have a pile of work before my website start talking to my social networks.
Next Week: Make my Electronic Dance Music Website Work!
So, in order to be cool like Skrillex or like David Guetta or Deadmau5, I need to do a few things next week (it is not long, but by now I know a thing or two about building a website, and this short list will consume a vast amount of time – at least 80 hours):
- Test all my WordPress plugins with all my social networks
- Learn how to manage my artwork to make images smaller to increase browsing speed
- Test my website in all these browsers: PC – IE, FireFox and Chrome | Mac – FireFox, Chrome and Safari
A handful, eh? Stay tuned. And please help spread the word about this site and about my progress – click a the bloody social link on my homepage. And remember to register on this site… and hope that the social login works (Oct 30 update: works like a charm!) to get my updates, participate, and to win an iPad (we are giving away 6 free iPads in random drawings!).
BPMstr | The Artist of the Tempo
Trackback from your site.